Friday, 26 April 2013

Final Farewell

Euthanasia is a word that provokes many strong emotions. A word that has a tree of definitions that branch out and differ from one leaf to the next. Each leaf represents a case that conflicts between what each individual believes. On the surface, it may seem like selfish murder, but beneath the media interpretation is a family struggling to go through with a decision they feel is best for their loved one. Each case is independent of all others. No two ‘leaves’ can be compared, and no one can judge the decisions made by others unless they were a part of that decision.

The New Zealand government is yet to pull the End of Life Choice Bill from the ballot box. However, there is a high chance that one day it will, and although statistics say New Zealanders are supportive of voluntary euthanasia, the debate will rock the country and divide it in two. It is already sparking concern and the phrase ‘euthanasia on demand’ is forming a negative connotation for the bill (NZDoctor.co.nz, 2012). Until then, the palliative care services continue to improve and develop with the education provided to doctors and nurses on caring for patients holistically.  
"You matter because you are you. You matter to the last
moment of your life, and we will do all we can, not only
to help you die peacefully, but also to live until you die."
~ Dame Cicely Saunders - founder of the modern hospice movement (Ministry of Health, 2013).

The fact that child euthanasia does exist was a shocking realisation. The killing of their child is not decision parents make lightly. However, letting a child suffer minutes or even days, because of the way they are being killed, is questionable and unfair. The child cases discussed through this blog troubled many people and sparked questions such as “why where teachers asked their opinion on the child’s quality of life?” New Zealand early childhood teachers make every effort to ensure the children in their care have equal opportunity to learn. Equity is also important and this ensures children with disabilities are supported in gaining the help they need to develop holistically alongside their peers in a centre environment.   
Well, after this long journey of discovering what euthanasia really is, I have concluded that euthanasia is like a giant puzzle. However, you will never really be able to put it together because the more you read, the more your beliefs on the issue change. I am still not sure what side of the fence I am sitting on. I am not even sure there are only two sides. What I am sure of is each case is different and emotion run high when you talk to some who is directly involved. Doctors, nurses, the public, the government, and society all bring to the table an idea of euthanasia. I do not think this issue will ever settle either. There will still be controversy over it if it becomes legal in New Zealand, just as there is now when it is illegal. Overall, this blog has opened my eyes to world of euthanasia and helped me to become a critical thinker, taking on board new information on thinking about it with a wide lens. I did not struggle to find different perspectives, but I guess perspectives are what make euthanasia a social issue in New Zealand.


I will leave you with this video. A real life plea on why voulunrty euthanasia such be legalised in New Zealand.

References  
Ministry of Health. (2013). Hospice New Zealand standards for palliative care: Quality review programme and guide 2012. Retrieved from http://www.hospice.org.nz/cms_show_download.php?id=509
NZDoctor.co.nz. (2012). Euthanasia on demand a mistake. Retrieved from http://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/in-print/2012/december-2012/19-december-2012/euthanasia-on-demand-a-mistake.aspx.

1 comment:

  1. Jess you have had a huge discussion and I am like you I do not know which side I chose either. This subject was definitely an interesting subject. Well done Jess.

    ReplyDelete